Inside job revealed.

Picture66

Silicone was also injected on the inside between the risers and the metal cladding  to cover the spaces between adjacent screw bolts and to form a seal between the wood and the sheeting. This was probably not essential for the purpose of waterproofing because of the overlap of the sheets and the caulking on the outside but it was thought it might deter movement or vibration between the sheets especially during the rotation of the dome.

Picture67

The brown stuff showing besides the ribs is the silicone I was using at the time. I have no idea what I had originally bought the stuff for and I would have preferred black but why waste :). Anyway the inside would be painted over with several layers of matt black and so I was not worried it might show. I did clean up the excess splatter though before I got to painting it ;).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s